Monday, February 15, 2010

Achilles Tendon

Recently I have seen quite a few runners with Achilles tendon pain. Each one had a different set of problems. The first one, I assessed her standing and then squatting. She had a severe pronation and a obvious dropped navicular. Her heel pad looked like it was atrophying. I treated her with cupping, neuromuscular massage, active isolated stretching, and finished with taping. After the third or fourth visit, I suggested she should probably get an evaluation from a podiatrist. Why, because she wouldn't stop running and the treatment I could see was not going to solve this entirely or fast enough for her. We continued to treat her each week, she got orthotics, and is back running pain free. We did address more than the foot and calf. We had to take a look at posture, core, and the weakness of tibialis posterior. I treated with muscle energy for the navicular bone. All in all, because she would not' stop running, we saw her every week for 8 weeks and she is very happy running, running, running.

No comments:

Post a Comment